Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fly girl

You may or may not know this, but I am a fly swatter ninja. It's true. Every Spring when the flies start showing up in the house I grab my trusty (but cheap) pink or green fly swatters and stick one of them up on top of the fridge for easy access. Then when I see a fly (or flies) buzzing around I slip into a zen frame of mind and start swatting in a Matrix style around the kitchen. You should see my slow motion, high arc, backflip swat. It's poetry in motion.

At the beginning of the season it's not exactly challenging. The flies are new and slow and haven't been swatted at a whole lot. But as Spring heads into Summer, they get smarter, faster, and more leary. That's when I feel we become true adversaries. I start talking to the in bad voice-over, lips don't match the words, old Japanese movie talk as I stealthy stalk them through the house. They die anyway, and I trash the house chasing after them, but at least the kids get some good Summer entertainment......as they root for the fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment